Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Food, Inc. Documentary

I recently watched a documentary called Food, Inc. I have a lot of food related documentaries I want to watch but this is the first one in the list. This documentary is such an eye opener. It isn't anything I didn't know yet, but it is put together so perfectly. For anyone that doesn't understand what the difference is between grass fed and regular meat and why eating organically and locally produced food is important, they need to see this film.


Although we choose grass fed meat where possible, there are times the other meat slips in. I just don't know if I will be able to slip it in anymore. When you understand that the goal of eating has nothing to do with calories and has everything to do with the nutrition you put into your body so that you can live a long, healthy life, then you start to question everything you are putting in.

This doc also showed the impact the fast food industry has had on Americans. Not only has it radically changed the way food is produced through its focus on cheap food instead of quality, it has also changed the way Americans feel about cooking at home. I haven't eaten fast food since I was a 14 year old girl. Even though I choose not to put that in my body, McDonald's is dictating how almost ALL food is manufactured. And those people that are trying to go back to sustainable, ethical farming and living are investigated as criminals. We have created a nation of people afraid to cook on their own. They do not have enough time. They do not like cooking. We worry about our children's college savings funds and our retirement accounts, but not too often are we concerned about the life we are predicting for our children based on the food we put into their bodies. We need to make a nutritional investment in our children so that they can create a new generation that is healthier, not sicker.

This documentary is on Netflix. Watch it. Then tell me how you will never look at a mass produced hamburger the same way ever again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment