Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Organic Sprouted Wheat Buns

Let me tell you about my new found love affair with sprouted wheat. I was in the natural section in the grocery store and I saw sprouted wheat hot dog buns. I have never heard of sprouted wheat before. I picked them up expecting something that would be extremely tough without much flavor. Boy, was I wrong. Delicious! The brand I purchased was Food for Life.


I purchased the hot dog buns. They came frozen and my goodness are they as hard as a rock in the package. Take them out before you plan on using them. I took mine from the freezer to the fry pan. It takes quite a bit longer to dethaw them when they are completely frozen. I warmed them in a pan on low until I was able to split them apart from each other. I then flipped them on their sides and kept rotating them to evenly dethaw. The trick to fabulous flavor was that I added some cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil to the pan. Just a little bit. Enough to give it some flavor. This made the outsides come out nice and crispy. I then made some natural, kosher hot dogs in a pan - these are spectacular too! They taste completely different, yet way better.


If you are concerned about losing flavor with sprouted wheat, I would say it is exactly the opposite - more flavor and a better product.


So what is sprouted wheat? This is a section from the Food for Life website explaining the nutritional benefits:

The process of germination changes the composition of grain and seeds in numerous ways. Sprouting increases vitamin content. Sprouting neutralizes phytic acid – a substance present in grains – that inhibits absorption of nutrients and more important Sprouting neutralizes or "predigests" if you will, grains through enzymatic activity. The enzymes produced during our natural sprouting process "in effect" breaks down amino acid protein bonds to promote digestibility of the entire grain.

Sprouted grain bread has numerous advantages over "enriched" wheat flour breads. These breads are made from the endosperm of the wheat kernel (the inside portion), which contains primarily carbohydrates and few vitamins and minerals. The milling of grain into white flour requires the removal of the bran and the germ. This results in the loss of natural fiber, bran and 22 vitamins and minerals. To compensate, five vitamins and minerals (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, iron and folic acid) are added back in, "enriching" the flour. Sometimes calcium is added back as well.

Food For Life is inspired by the Holy Scripture verse Ezekiel 4:9. Our 2,500 year old prodigy is made from six certified organic grains and legumes, sprouted in filtered water with a touch of organic malted barley and sea salt. This bread is truly the staff of life.

As well, Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Products have increased vitamin content generated by the sprouting process and contain a superior quality protein that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs, containing all 9 essential amino acids. In total, there are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread.

Food for Life Website

No comments:

Post a Comment