- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 3 slices of finely chopped, fried and drained bacon
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
I got grass fed organic ground chuck and Italian sausage from Sendik's. I cooked the meat in a Dutch oven and strained the fat. I added the cooked bacon. I then added the crushed tomatoes, paste and sauce of which were all organic with the water. I added the sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and parsley. I simmered for about two hours on very low heat. We used the sauce on our spaghetti and to dip fresh French bread slices.
The longer it simmers, the more the flavors come out.
Even the baby loved the sauce.